Saturday, February 9, 2008

Let the pain begin!

I feel like I have changed A LOT in the last couple of years. I have grown and matured in many ways, and still have so much growing and maturing ahead of me! There is one area of my life that I have made drastic changes, and I'm so glad that I made the change! I'll take you on that journey!


In high school, I was the girl with about 5 pairs of shoes (Crazy huh! Who knew they were out there!). I had a couple pairs of dress shoes, a pair of tennis shoes, and of course...the flip flops! I was obsessed with flip flops, and what's not to be obsessed about? They were comfy, cheap, and I didn't have to worry about breaking my neck! I didn't really care about shoes! If they were uncomfortable, I wouldn't buy. If I bought a pair of shoes that gave me blisters - I NEVER wore them again. So, you may have guessed by now that high heels were considered as nothing more than a WEAPON used to inflict pain, and I was NOT going to suffer for style!

Sadly (for my feet & bank account) that part of me died about 2 years ago. I'm not really sure why or how, but I still remember the moment. I was in the mall with my daughter, and I saw them. A gorgeous pair of pointy black shoes - about 4 inches tall! I was admiring them, thinking about how sexy they were, but how I could NEVER pull of something like that. I sighed, looked down at my flip flops, and started to return the shoes to the display table. It was then that my body was taken over by the shoe spirits, and I heard myself asking the sales woman to bring me a size 7. I couldn't believe what I was doing!


She brought me the shoes, and from the moment I placed my foot inside, I was a changed woman. As I was walking around in them, I felt strangely powerful! I felt like I could take on the world - nothing could stand in my way! Of course I purchased the shoes, and that was the beginning of my obsession!

Why didn't I discover this sooner! It is amazing what 3-4 inches can do for the legs, especially for girls like me, who have abnormally short legs! It is totally worth any discomfort, blisters, and even blood that may be required for the added style. Not to mention that while wearing a nice pair of heels, I have found it much easier to persuade my husband to do things he doesn't want to! NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PERSUASIVE POWER OF A WOMAN IN A SEXY PAIR OF HEELS! Consider this lesson learned! I was not totally incorrect in my notions, I still consider them weapons, but now they are my WEAPON OF CHOICE!

I am happy to report that my shoe "wardrobe" has significantly improved over the last couple of years. Here is my latest aquisition, these gorgeous peep toe pumps! Aren't they fabulous?

I wasn't even going to buy them, but of course I just had to try them on! Let me tell you, they CHANGED MY LIFE! Never have I worn a more comfortable pair of high heels! I have never associated heels with comfort...until now! They are 4 inches tall, and they FEEL like they are about 2 - it is amazing! (I really wanted them in red, but that's the problem with shopping at TJ Maxx - cheaper shoes, less of a selection!) I think I am in love!

26 comments:

Yvonne Michelle said...

Oh, yes. Shoes are spectacular. I was never much of a tennis shoe girl. In fact, I never owned a pair my entire high school career. That was the penny loafer era. About a year ago, I bought my first pair of Jordans. They're black with pink trim. There is nothing cuter than a pink Michael "flying" on my shoes. I was playing poker one night, and this guy asked me if I was wearing Jordans. I'm like, "totally!" He was amused. I don't think I look much like that type of a shoe girl. The expensive Italian boots are the best. I have a pair of flats that lace up to just below the knee. They were originally $360, but my mom got them for me on clearance at Nordstroms - only $180. I love love love them. I'm a big fan of the Italian... and leather. Did I mention that? I used to buy shoes at Payless. Those days are long gone.

You're half way there, girl! The next stop is Tiffany & Co. That's when you know your inner Diva is here to stay!

Mary Ann said...

The shoe pics didn't show up for me.. but i am exacly like you.. i just couldn't have put it in to words as fun as you did.. you crack me up! i never wanted to wear high heels, and was afraid of them... but now, even though it hurts so bad.. I LOVE THEM!!

heather said...

Okay. I am still the girl with five pairs of shoes...and three that I actually wear...I have wanted to be different...I didn't know a pair of high heels could be so liberating!! I'll have to go on a search for that perfect pair. Come with me. Be my support. My shopping coach. My quest for a new and more powerful life coach. Come. Come. I'll buy you a Subway. :) If a pair of heels can help convince Matt to do things that he doesn't want to do...I AM IN!

kemra said...

They are amazing! I would love to shop with you - I will probably end up with 5 pairs, and you won't get any, but I would love to come! We will have a blast! Shopping with two kids is ALWAYS fun!

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, it looks like my bad habit is starting to rub off on you girl! Two words...Last Chance!

Hollin said...

Hillarious!!!!! You make me laugh. I guess I need to take a shopping trip with you so that I can see the LIGHT! Never in a million years would I trade in my flip flops for a pair of high heels....well at least I don't think so :)! Maybe you need to show me the ways of "shoe therapy"! I guess I need to ask myself "Does a pregnant girl look cute in heels?"

the cummard family said...

lol-you crack me up. thanks for comming the other night. I hope Emma loves her braclet!

Elisha said...

That was so hilarious! I felt like I was reading someting out of a sexy romantic book! I am totally with you though! I love shoes!

Shawn and Tasha said...

I'm still having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to you in heels. All I ever knew you in was flip flops (which I miss wearing here in Oregon). Go you! I don't think I'm much for pain, unless it involves child birth.:-) I usually wear flat shoes to avoid the tripping, blisters, etc... I'm usually on my feet all day on Sundays because I walk the halls with Packer. I can't believe you scored blister/pain-free heels!

Macey said...

I wish I could pull them off...I like a little height, just am not brave enough for the full-on heal.

Brynn P. said...

Congrats on the upgrade!!! I love this post! I remember always seeing you in flip flops....can't imagine things anyother way!!

Tricia said...

ha ha! It's true you were the QUEEN of flip flops back in the day. Now, the only changing I did after high school in regards to shoes is I switched to sturdy tennis shoes after my anatomy/Physiology teacher told us that dancers are likely to get arthritis in their feet because they always dance on them and then wear flip flops- so I have much more protection, but not much more style.

Tricia said...

By the way, I am laughing so hard at Emma's new quotes! She's hilarious!

Rachel Cunningham said...

That is so funny...a shoe awakening. I need one of those. All I have is my tennis shoes for working out, flats for church and lots of flip-flops. I wear a ten so I kind of avoid buying shoes. Maybe you can teach a class or something! Then I would need a new wardrobe because nothing I own would go would cool shoes.

Sarahleigh said...

I guess I'm the only one commenting here who is with you on the heels thing. I love heels! Maybe the fact that my husband is 6'3" and I'm 5'1" has something to do with it, but I really don't think that would matter. The higher the better! I always have tons of heels and no other shoes, so when I need something a little more casual or a pair or tennis shoes, I have to borrow from my sisters. I am so bummed because I can't find my favorite pair of 4.5 inch heels after the move. They were pretty beat up because I wore them every chance I got. I have to wear plain flat black shoes at work. I try to have style, but it just doesn't feel right without my heels. I wouldn't want to stand in heels for 8 hours a day though.
P.S. When are we going to hang out?

Valerie said...

First of all, I can relate because I just bought my first pair of high heels a few months ago, and I love them. The trick with heels is, the noisier the better: more noise=more authority.

Second of all, I can't believe I randomly found your blog. Wow, five years... where'd it go?

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

I loved this post! I had a similar experience as you -- flat and casual all the time, right, and then poof! A whole new world opens up! I like to wear them with everything, even though I am tall, hehehe!

About getting together -- Sterling spiked a fever the last couple of nights and has been fighting a pretty bad cough. I am taking him into the doctor this afternoon and then I will know a little more. I totally think we should include the guys! I think they would have fun and maybe they might help us with the kids, lol. Do you want to tentatively say next Friday or Saturday?

I am also wondering if you would like to get together to sing sometime. I really miss it and you and I always blended well. So I don't know what your schedule is like, and we'd need to find someone to play piano unless you want to play and sing like we used to back in the day ... lol. What do you think?

xoxo

Dizzy Kate said...

I know that wearing high heels is better looking for my short, stubby legs, but I just can't get myself to wear them. I'm finally to the point where I am all about comfort and seem to care less and less about style. I know, I'm weird. I love the way I can hear your humor come out in your posts. It's as though I am talking to you. It's fun!

Emily K Jacob A said...

I love this post! You're so cute and I'm so glad your feet found their true love. A great pair of shoes can change a woman's world--it's true! And I love your statement about the power they have over a husband too. Jacob's a bigger sucker for good heels than I am!

Yvonne Michelle said...

Everytime I read this post, it makes me want to go buy new shoes! Am I the only one who is desperate for fashion instead of the crap hanging on the racks right now? Please, designers, give us something delicious! We are STARVING out here!

Laura and Jimmy said...

ha! you're great... i love to look at and occasionally buy great shoes... unfortunately, though, my flip flops are still my treasured, favorite shoe of choice...

salena said...

You're so funny!

I still cant let go of my love for flip flops. Anyways, those kinda shoes would be the death of me for sure ..I would fall on my face wearing them!

Mac and Kelly said...

I miss you, too! We are hopefully moving back next April. It seems like forever! When I say hopefully, I mean that we are for sure moving out of Utah, and most likely moving to AZ! Things just depend on Mac's job and some other stuff. We may move to Seattle, I have family there and so does he, and I think Seattle is the best city ever! I'm thinking we will be in AZ, though. You will have to help me find some apartments before we move. I have no clue where to look.

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Okay, well -- here's the deal. SJ has been on medication since the weekend and has been fever free for two days, now, so I'm hoping it's safe to say he's on the mend. Do you want to get together Friday night after work? We could meet for dinner or something? What do you guys like to do? We could even get some KFC and hit the park or something. Let me know! And I'm so happy you are up for singing!! YAY! I'm all about it so whenever you're ready, so am I! Alright, well -- take care and I'll talk to you later. xoxo

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Oh, hey -- don't worry about it at all! I understand, girl! Finding the perfect chairs is a BIG DEAL and I totally want to see them! I bet they're real cute (I still haven't seen your new couch, too, so I need to come check out your new stuff!!) ... I'm definitely going to have to check out that website, though. I'm looking for a new kitchen table. What is the link? As far as getting together, Friday morning I have a million errands to run so that probably won't work. Next weekend we are going to try to head out of town since we have had to reschedule so many times, lol. But how about the weekend after that? That would put us at ... March 7 and 8th. It's way in advance planning, lol! So let me know. And we can get the kids together before that and do a little singing, too. You do have a piano at your house, right? I think it's our turn to come out to your place, anyway, so if you want, we can come over and hang out next week or the week after sometime. Alright well, have fun and I'll talk to you later! :)

Stoddard Studios said...

I absolutely LOVE heels too!! I don't care if I bleed because of them either. If they match the outfit, who cares, endure the pain! So, what brans are those comfy black heels? I've been looking everywhere for comfy heels. I love red ones too. I have one pair of red ones{like the first pair of black heels you showed}, but they are the most uncomfortable shoes ever. and they are the ones I wear the most. I feel so sexy when I wear them. Glad you feel the same way about heels!