Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's Here!


Since I was about 13 or 14, I have been in love with Pride & Prejudice - (I am talking serious love too, not just infatuation or a fleeting crush!) However, I was unwilling to shell out all the money that was required to purchase the 6 VHS tapes! I bought the Kiera Knightly version of it a couple years ago, and while I do thoroughly enjoy it, this version is not true to the book and leaves out many (in my humble opinion) crucial details & characterizations. In other words, when I was in need of a good Jane Austen fix - it did not do the trick!

I love modern technology! I was on half.com the other day, and saw the TRUE version of P & P for $19.00 - on DVD, plus a book on the making of the movie! I almost started to cry! I instantly called Heather - and we both invested in this fabulous WORK OF ART (for those of you who don't agree that this is a work of art - you NEED to watch it! Mr. Darcy by himself is worthy of the title!)

Now all that I have to do is find 5+ hours to sit and watch - I'll let you know when that happens. I don't see it happening in the near future - but at least I have it waiting for me! I am SO EXCITED! Anyone up for a GIRLS NIGHT IN?

19 comments:

Amy said...

That is so great! Ok, not that you have all the moolah in the world to spend on great British films, but if you ever come across the show Berkley Square: it is a must-have/must-watch. Seriously. 3 nannies in Victorian London. Even my husband, who does not do British TV, got into it. Its about 8-12 hours long :-)

Laurie said...

This is definitely the TRUE Pride and Prejudice!!! Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy!

You're putting me in the mood to watch it! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh you KNOW I am in! Remember junior english comparing "you know who" to Mr. Wickham?? Scuzball. Ahhh, the memories! But seriously, lets watch it!

Sarah said...

Thats a score! Anyone who has ever seen Colin Firth in the A&E version can have no contestation that it is TRULY a work of art. Amen sista! :) And I LOVE reading Emma's comments on the side of your blog...she is something else!

heather said...

Up for a night of P&P? ALWAYS! :)
And thanks for letting me know about this investment opportunity. :)

Yvonne Michelle said...

They have it at Best Buy & Costco too. I don't know how much it is at either of those places, but I have the DVDs also. We watched it a few weeks ago. I could never get sick of it! I didn't want the Kiera version, because there is only one Mr. Darcy for me - COLIN FIRTH! Another awesome one is Sense & Sensibility with Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson. I usually watch that one when I'm totally lonely, depressed & need to get all the crying out... I totally love that one. SO romantic. Count me in! I'll bring the Oreos!

Ashley Harris said...

I have been on a huge Jane Austen kick recently and I just LOVE this version! Now I need to read the book! Poor Matt, when I read books I'm just useless!

salena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
salena said...

I've only seen this one once all the way through...but when Steven's mom was alive, they watched this EVERY Sunday, Steven said he started to memorize some parts! I love the Keira Knightly one, too. But Colin Firth is the best Darcy!
On Netflix I found a BBC version of Emma made a while ago..it's longer. But with Jane AUsten movies, the longer..the better!

Enjoy the Journey said...

Hey... When you find a little bit of time that is not dedicated to watching P&P, let me know so Emma and Broc can play! Maybe even go to the zoo?

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Okay, so have you been watching the masterpiece theater productions of the entire Jane Austen collection? They used the A&E Pride and Prejudice, but made all new ones for the others!! They are fabulous -- especially Northanger Abbey, my second favorite! :) Check it out, girl, if you haven't already! And what did you think of 'Becoming Jane'? xoxo

Suzy Cummard said...

WOW. I know you probably were dying!
I know how much you love it!!!

CONGRATS on the GREAT find!!!

(Did you see the pics of the girls on Ellie's blog.. older post, now!?)

Heidi said...

How funny! I just bought the same thing today! The BYU Bookstore ordered 300 of them and I noticed them as I was renting a movie and snatched it up. What a steal! I couldn't BELIEVE they were selling it for $19.99 when the 2-disc DVD only package was $35!

Hollin said...

OK, you know I'm just as in love with Mr. Darcy as you are! I'm definitely in for a Girls night in. I have to admit I love them both equally. The Keira Knightley version is just the right amount of hours I can sneak in after the kids go to bed, maybe that's why I love it too! Colin Firth....Oh dreamy!!! Need I say more.

Jheri said...

Okay, so I've never seen it! Can you believe it???

Mac and Kelly said...

That is so funny that Dean watched it and that he secretly loves it. That's how Mac was at first, he pretended not to like it, but then he just admitted that he thought that it was great writing and very witty. I did like season 7 (mainly because I just love the show no matter what), but I do agree that the writer did not do as goof of a job as the other one (i can't think of her name). I didn't like how Lorelei married Christopher and all that drama. She should have been with Luke the whole time, which thankfully, she was (or at least it seemed) at the end. I cried on the finale. I really felt like I was Rory. We were both the same age and grade in school, both have October birthdays, etc. I remember when I graduated high school and I was watching the finale of season 3 when Rory graduated. The finale was on during the same week of my graduation. I cried then, too. Anyway, yes we will for sure have a Gilmore Girls night weekly, but you may have to put up with my husband watching it, too, since he can't resist. We are moving back to AZ--in about one year from now.

Mac and Kelly said...

No, you do not think too much about it. I am the same way. I swear that some day my life will be like Lorelei's, and that I will have a daughter like Rory. Wow, I'm truly pathetic. I definitely agree that in a perfect world, Jess and Rory would be together. I loved him from the beginning. I still do. He is on Heroes and I love him. Him and Rory were so cute, and every episode when he would come back into her life, I prayed that they would get back together. Did you know that they dated in real life, too? Not anymore, though. :( Mac has dreams about Gilmore Girls sometimes. He thinks that we should name our daughter Lorelei (He would kill me if he know I was writing this).

Mac and Kelly said...

Ok, so since we are both obviously on the computer at the same time, it would probably be easier if we talked on the phone, or on instant messenger, huh? Ha ha. In fact, do you have an instant messenger name? If so, let me know. I am on instant messenger for work all day long, and talking to you would probably help my boredom. I have a personal health question to ask your advice on, so I am going to email you, ok!

Dizzy Kate said...

I LOVE that movie, but I'm not as obcessed with it as Starla, my little sister. She watches the Kiera Knightley (I don't know how to spell her name) version seriously almost every night. It is a wonderful movie. I would love to hear your reviews about the version you just ordered. I might be interested in ordering one myself.